The time has come to put first for Paris Saint-Germain in the 2022-23 season, which they will do this Sunday and with the French Super Cup on the table, which will play against Nantes , at the Bloomfield Stadium , in Tel Aviv, Israel .
After a campaign that was practically forgotten in the past, which he could barely make up for by obtaining Ligue 1, a title that gave him the ticket to this final, the Parisians renewed their energy and also several faces.
In the first place, the leadership made strong moves, after not having achieved the main objective, the UEFA Champions League, and hired Luis Campos, who replaced Leonardo, in the position of sports director.
After this, the most forceful blow came with the dismissal of Mauricio Pochettino as his coach. For the position, Christophe Galtier arrived and will have his official presentation this day.
While, on the court, he incorporated some reinforcements such as Vitinha, Hugo Ekitike and Nordi Mukiele, as well as seeing the departure of Ángel Di María. In any case, it was not an incorporation that shook France, but a renewal: that of Kylian Mbappé, until 2025.
Such recovery of spirit was the one that PSG captured throughout the preseason, in which its stellar striker with the Frenchman, Neymar and Lionel Messi did their thing, just as the brand new coach took the opportunity to make the first advances towards the idea what do you expect.
In four games played, the last champions of the French tournament won all of them. First against Quevilly Rouen, and then against Kawasaki Frontale, Urawa Reds and Gamba Osaka, on tour in Japan.
For its part, Nantes qualified for the Super Cup thanks to winning the previous French Cup, reaching its 16th title in its history. Now, he will try to hit the ground running and add a new star, after a preparation in which he had two wins and suffered the same number of losses.
Match data provided by Opta :
– PSG and Nantes have already met once for the Trophée des Champions and it was in January 1996, when the Parisian team prevailed in a penalty shootout (6-5) after a 2-2 draw in regulation time.
– The team from the capital lost two of their last three games against Nantes, in all competitions (W1), as many as in the previous 31 (W25 D4).
– Following their victory against Paris Saint-Germain in their last game (3-1 in Ligue 1, in February 2022), the Canaries can win back-to-back victories against PSG for the first time since November-December 2002 (1-0 in Ligue 1, and then 3-1 in the Coupe de la Ligue, both at the Parc des Princes).
– The Parisians have scored in each of their last 26 games against Nantes, in all competitions (62 goals in total). The last time they did not score against the Canarian team was in February 2006 (0-0 at La Beaujoire, for Ligue 1).
– PSG won the Super Cup 10 times, a record for any team in the competition. The Parisians have won eight of the last nine editions, failing only last year against Lille (1-0), also in an edition played in Tel Aviv.
– Nantes will dispute this title for the fifth time, after the editions of 1995, 1999, 2000 and 2001. Los Canarios won the title twice (1999 and 2001).
– None of the last nine editions of the Super Cup have been decided on penalties; the last edition won by this method was in 2012 between Olympique Lyon and Montpellier (2-2, with the lion team winning 4-2).
– Lionel Messi was involved in a goal in each of his two games against Nantes for PSG: a goal in November 2021 and an assist in February 2022, both for Ligue 1.
– Christophe Galtier will make his official debut as coach of the Parisians. Only two coaches lost their first game as PSG solo coach: Velibor Vasovic, in August 1976 against Lyon in Ligue 1 (4-2 at home) and Jean-Michel Larqué in August 1977 against Nancy, also for the championship (4-1 away).
Likely lineups :
PSG: Donnarumma; Ramos, Marquinhos, Kimpembe; Hakimi, Vitinha, Verratti, Mendes; Messi, Mbappe and Neymar.
Nantes: Lafont; Fabio, Castelletto, Girotto, Palois, Merlin; Chirivella, Moussa Sissoko; Blas, Guessand and Simon.