Shawn Mendes has called off the rest of his world tour, canceling dates in North America and Europe so he can focus on his mental health.
“I wasn’t fully prepared for how difficult it would be to tour after this time,” the singer-songwriter posted on social media Wednesday.
“After talking more with my team and working with an amazing group of healthcare professionals, it has become clearer that I need to take time that I never took personally, to ground myself and come back stronger.” Mendes has had six top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including “There’s Nothing Stopping Me”, “If I Can’t Have You” and “Senorita” with ex-girlfriend Camila Cabello.
Mendes kicked off his world tour in support of his “Wonder” album in June, but said earlier this month that he needed to take a three-week break. That break has now been extended to the entire tour. Mendes said he was “hopeful that I can get on with the rest of the dates after some much-needed time off,” but said “right now I have to put my health as my first priority.” The singer-songwriter assured fans that he will continue to make music and tour in the future. “I promise I’ll be back as soon as I’ve had adequate time to heal,” he wrote.